找回密码
 注册
Simdroid-非首页
查看: 2950|回复: 20

Talk: How to make a scientific writing ?

[复制链接]
发表于 2006-7-19 20:13:50 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式 来自 美国
Let me share something about the writing:
For writing, the first thing you need to realize is Clarity. Why?
The Need for Clarity  
  The key characteristic of scientific writing is clarity. Successful scientific experimentation is the result of a clear mind attacking a clearly stated problem and producing clearly stated conclusions. Ideally, clarity should be a characteristic of any type of communication; however, when something is being said for the first time, clarity is essential. Most scientific papers, those published in our primary research journals, are accepted for publication precisely because they do contribute new knowledge. Hence, we should demand absolute clarity in scientific writing.

If possible, we can talk more about writing. My advisor gave me a lot of useful advices how to improve writing.

评分

查看全部评分

发表于 2006-7-21 15:18:57 | 显示全部楼层 来自 江苏无锡
Simdroid开发平台
原帖由 lanweiming 于 2006/7/19 20:13 发表
If possible, we can talk more about writing. My advisor gave me a lot of useful advices how to improve writing.

lanweiming,

Please continue to share your valuebale experience on scientific writing with all of us.
That is really amazing. Be at home in Simwe.

Certainly, I am reading a writing book to improve my English.
I randomly post what interested me and share with all friends in forum.
As you understand, That is the culture in forum. Many people and many topic.
发表于 2006-7-21 21:59:41 | 显示全部楼层 来自 新加坡
I assume most of us know that practice makes perfect. Besides you read and write more, there is another point I would like to share with allof you here.

Needless to say, there are some rules we need to follow in scientific writing.  Unlike the novel, we are describing a process, a phenomenon or fact, adjective words should be avoided wherever we should. Additonally, link between two sentences or two paragrahes must be taken seriously. It is very common that sharp turn between two paragrahes or two charpters. This is continuity.

评分

查看全部评分

发表于 2006-7-25 14:29:29 | 显示全部楼层 来自 江苏无锡
Thanks John,
YES. Words build a sentence, Sentences make a paragraph.

I make a jump for this thread. Hopefully, The more follow, the better.

1. Intention : Why we write ?
    Before we write something, this motion must be clear.
    Why we write ? Who we write to ? What we are going to write ?
    Surely, We clarify our works to the world.

2. Process :  How we write ?
    A evidence of scientific writing is ... LOGIC.
    It's widely understand, Mathmatics is perfect logic language.
    But a successful scientific writing is not just a formulary.
    The writer must reveal to the readers a logical thinking or a logical structure.
    Image, Why a detective novel catch your heart ?

3.  The END !
    One picture is more than a thousand words.
    Chart and Table are also helpful engineering bridge.
    In Short, Please don't make a scientific writing so boring or so dry.
    You are much much greater than a Hollywood film maker. --- The Fact.
发表于 2006-8-1 19:05:02 | 显示全部楼层 来自 江苏无锡
This is not an end, This is a beginning for us.

I find a nice guide book. Plan to go through it this week.

Download : Simwe FTP/ professional / Foreign language.

======================================

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?注册

楼主| 发表于 2006-8-4 01:36:18 | 显示全部楼层 来自 美国
FreddyMusic,

Thanks for your encouragement.

As I was admitted to my PH.D. program, my advisor told me that you should read more Journal papers carefully as many as possible. At that time, I did not understand his meaning. As I read papers, I mainly tried to understand what they did. As I finished my first paper, my advisor kicked it back to me after only reading the first paragraph! After 8 revisions, we finally sent that paper out.

What I learned from my first paper is that we should learn from journal papers not only the contents but also the writing style. Grasping the contents help you develop your ideas about your fields, learning the writing style helps you know how to write a journal paper in your field.  A lot of journals prefer some specific writing styles! Learn this through their sample papers and papers published in that journal. Believe it or not, a good writing style will also help you organize your thought!

After I learned this, I finished my second paper more quickly than the first one, and my advisor had four revisions before it was submitted to the journal. I hope I can reduce the number of my advisor's revisions to 2-3 for my third paper. And that would be my last one for my Ph.D. program. Maybe it is also the last technical paper in my life. :)

[ 本帖最后由 lanweiming 于 2006-8-4 01:38 编辑 ]

评分

查看全部评分

发表于 2006-8-4 16:09:26 | 显示全部楼层 来自 江苏无锡
lanweiming ,

Please send a copy to Simwe Journal, when you accomplished your paper.
It's my pride to be one of your reader.

Notes: Simwe Journal don't have a copyright so far, that wouldn't be a dilemma.

A well revised paper stand for a throughful mind of writer.
I feel you have a nice advisor.Go on with your road on successful publish.

As promised, I go through the book. It's written for medicine student's background.
I was educated for engineering. But it's good to learn something.
I pick up something delight me and share in forum.

===========================================================

What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure.        --- By Samuel Johnson (1709–1784)

“ Do it every day for a while” my father kept saying. “Do it as you would do scales on the piano.
Do it by pre-arrangement with yourself. Do it as a debt of honour.And make a commitment to finishing things.”
                                                                                                                  --- By Anne Lamott3

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?注册

楼主| 发表于 2006-8-11 22:29:21 | 显示全部楼层 来自 美国
Sorry for replying your post so late. Just got everything done for my Ph.D. program and will move to another city for a new life as an mechanical engineer. The student life finally ended! But I will keep learning new knowledge and ideas.

For papers, I can not post here since I already signed the copyright agreement with the publisher. It will appear in International Journal of Fracture soon. This paper is about a three-dimensional phenomenon observed during fracture in ductile materials. My group is trying to develop a general 3D fracture criterion, so my task is to study some 3D fracture phenomena so that we can see their effects. If you are interested in fracture mechanics and would like to have some discussions, please feel free to contact me at lanw@engr.sc.edu or lanwm@yahoo.com. I prefer lanwm@yahoo.com since the school account will be closed soon.
原帖由 FreddyMusic 于 2006-8-4 16:09 发表
lanweiming ,

Please send a copy to Simwe Journal, when you accomplished your paper.
It's my pride to be one of your reader.

Notes: Simwe Journal don't have a copyright so far, that wouldn' ...
发表于 2006-8-22 12:46:06 | 显示全部楼层 来自 上海浦东新区
Hello everybody.It's great to see so many guys here can use English freely.It encourages me.
For having learned a lot from you ,thank you all.
发表于 2006-11-29 19:45:13 | 显示全部楼层 来自 江苏苏州
good article ,thanks
发表于 2006-12-2 12:58:24 | 显示全部楼层 来自 河南郑州
原帖由 FreddyMusic 于 2006-8-1 19:05 发表

I find a nice guide book. Plan to go through it this week.

Download : Simwe FTP/ professional / Foreign language.

========================== ...

I can't find the file of the book in "Simwe FTP/ professional / Foreign language", where is it? please tell me the file's name and its location. thanks!
发表于 2007-2-9 14:57:40 | 显示全部楼层 来自 浙江杭州
A very meaningful discussion.
发表于 2007-2-27 22:39:13 | 显示全部楼层 来自 广东深圳
though i am come here first time i love the forum .
发表于 2007-4-5 11:30:49 | 显示全部楼层 来自 山东济南
Thanks every friend! I have learnt so much!
I love this fortune!
发表于 2007-4-17 11:50:31 | 显示全部楼层 来自 大连理工大学

To FreddyMusic,

FreddyMusic,
     Where can I get the scientifc writing book? Thank you very much!
发表于 2007-4-17 11:58:28 | 显示全部楼层 来自 大连理工大学

To FreddyMusic

If you don't mind and have some spare time,would you please email the book to me. My email: liujunyu2003@yahoo.com.cn.
    Thank you previously!
   Best regards,
liujunyu
发表于 2009-11-12 19:56:57 | 显示全部楼层 来自 山东东营
good article ,thanks
回复 不支持

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-11-9 16:43:20 | 显示全部楼层 来自 大连理工大学
FreddyMusic 发表于 2006-8-1 19:05

I find a nice guide book. Plan to go through it thi ...

我如何才能上FTP呢?
回复 不支持

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-11-16 21:40:05 | 显示全部楼层 来自 浙江杭州
由博 发表于 2011-11-9 16:43
我如何才能上FTP呢?

在这里能遇到你?
哈哈
知道我是谁吗?
回复 不支持

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-6-17 21:13:02 | 显示全部楼层 来自 江苏南京
very  good! thanks
回复 不支持

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|小黑屋|联系我们|仿真互动网 ( 京ICP备15048925号-7 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-19 08:34 , Processed in 0.058864 second(s), 16 queries , Gzip On, MemCache On.